Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Field Activity #9: Georeferencing and Mosaicking

Introduction

The purpose of this week’s field post is to discuss the process involved in georeferencing and mosaicking aerial imagery, in Arc Map, that was obtained through balloon mapping (balloon mapping is discussed in further detail in the blog post titled “Field Activity #3: Construction of Field Mapping Equipment”).
Methods

          Importance of Good Quality Images
Before the georeferencing process can begin it’s necessary to look through images that were obtained to find ones that will work well. This includes finding images where the shot is perpendicular to the ground (images 1 and 2), images that can overlap one another, and images that are not blurry (image 3). These factors are important for several reasons including, shots that are perpendicular to the ground will have less distortion in the center of the picture compared to the edges.  Therefore when you overlap several pictures together they will depict a realistic view of the ground.  When the camera is not parallel to the ground the images will be very distorted, therefore the do not depict a realistic view of the ground. Images that are fuzzy or not clear will also not depict a realistic view of the ground.

Image 1: Camera shot that is perpendicular to the ground
Images that are perpendicular to the ground will have less distortion in the center of the picture so they will work the best for depicting a realistic view of the ground

Image 2: Camera shot is not perpendicular to the ground
When the camera is not perpendicular to the ground the images will be very distorted, therefore not depicting a realistic view of the ground

Image 3: fuzzy or not clear image
Images that are fuzz, or not clear will also not depict a realistic view of the ground

Images 4 - 13 are the images I chose to use.
Image 4: Image chose for georeferencing in my first mosaic

Image 5: Image chose for georeferencing in my first mosaic
Image 6: Image chose for georeferencing in my first mosaic
Image 7: Image chose for georeferencing in my first mosaic
Image 8: Image chose for georeferencing in my first mosaic
Image 9: Image chose for georeferencing in my second mosaic
Image 10: Image chose for georeferencing in my second mosaic
Image 11: Image chose for georeferencing in my second mosaic
Image 12: Image chose for georeferencing in my second mosaic
Image 13: Image chose for georeferencing in my second mosaic
          Georeferencing

To begin the georeferencing portion of the activity I first started a new project in Arc Map. I then opened the georeferencing tool bar (image 14). Next, I brought in the control points feature class. This feature class was created by 3 students using 3 different types of GPS units. This was done to provide ground control points to georeference too. I brought this feature class in first because it set the data frame to UTM 15N through Arc Map’s Project on the Fly feature. Next, I brought in the aerial image of the campus location that was provided for us by our professor. Then I brought in group 5’s feature class. This is a polygon feature class that was created by 2 of the students in the class who took the initiative to divide campus into 6 areas so each group could focus in one main area. This allowed for better use of time and accuracy as the area we all had to cover was much smaller and people weren’t all mapping the same area or leaving an area out. Finally, I brought in the first image I wanted to georeference.
Image 14: Location of the “Georeferencing” tool bar
Steps to georeferencing:

1) To begin georeferencing I zoomed into the area I would be georeferencing to on the aerial photo, with in group 5’s designated area.
2) Then, I made sure the image I was georeferencing was selected in the georeferencing tool bar drop down box (image 15).

Image 15: Selecting the correct image to be georeferenced in the georeferencing tool bar drop down box
3) Next, I selected “Fit to Display” from the georeferencing drop down menu (image 16). This fits the image you want to georeference into the display extent you zoomed into (image 17).

Image 16: Selecting “Fit to Display” from the georeferencing drop down menu
Image 17: Image fit within the display extent zoomed into
4) Then, I was able to use the “Rotate”, “Shift”, and “Scale” tools (image 18) to get my image to the rotation, spot, and size, that best suited the aerial image (image 19).

Image 18: Georeferencing tools used to rotate, shift, and scale the image being georeferenced
Image 19: Image rotated, sized, and moved to best fit the area
5) Next, I need to determine where my control points should be placed. By highlighting the ground point and viewing what feature it’s depicting I am able to determine where the ground point is located on the image being georeferenced (image 20). In this case the ground point is depicting a light pole. By looking at the image I am able to see that there is only one light pole nearby. Because of this I am able to determine that these two features should be located in the same spot. Therefore I will add a control point from the base of the light pole on the image to the control point.  

Image 20: Determining placement of control points

6) Then, I selected “Add Control Points” from the georeferencing tool bar (image 21). This allows me to add control points from the image I’m georeferencing to the aerial photo (image 22). At least 10 control points should be used for all photos being georeferenced to allow for accurate placement of the photo.

Image 21: “Add Control Points” selected from the georeferencing tool bar
Image 22: Adding control points from the image I’m georeferencing to the aerial photo
Finally, I was able to select “Update Georeferencing” from the georeferencing drop down menu (image 23). This saves the photo in place in relation to the control points you add.

Image 23: “Update Georeferencing” selected from the georeferencing drop down menu
This process was repeated for every image georeferenced. After all the images were georeferenced I exported them as raster files (image 24). This I needed to save the spatial reference of the image before mosaicking can be done.

Image 24: Exporting the georeferenced as a raster file
Here you need to select to have spatial reference saved the same as the data frame, selected your output location, name the file, and save it as a TIFF.

Image 25 depicts my images after they were all georeferenced and exported.
Image 25: Images after being georeferenced and exported
Finally, I was able to mosaic my images together. To do this I selected “Mosaic to New Raster” in the tool box (image 26).

Image26: Location of “Mosaic to New Raster” tool in the tool box
To run this tool properly it’s important to add all the images you want to mosaic, define your output location, name your output image and specify which type of file you would like to save it as. You can choose to save them as either a .tif or .jpg files. You must also specify the number of bands, which should be 3, and the mosaic operator. The mosaic operator runs the images in the order you specify. For example, I chose first meaning the first image I have listed (image 11 in image 27) will be the top image of my mosaic (image 27).

Image 27: How to fill out the “Mosaic to New Raster” tool
Image 28 shows my mosaic after this whole process was complete.

Image 28: Final completed mosaic
To observe how well my mosaic lined up with the aerial photo I used the “Swipe” tool located in the “Effects” tool bar (images 29 and 30).

Image 29: Location of “Effects” tool bar
Image 30: Location of “Swipe” tool in “Effects” tool bar
Overall we can see that my mosaic matches pretty well, but certainly isn’t perfect (image 31).

Image 31: Using the swipe tool to check my mosaic in relation to the aerial photo
Discussion

Overall, georeferencing is easy and difficult at the same time. The method itself is easy to perform, although it can be quite time consuming. However, making the overall mosaic line up perfectly was very difficult. As we discussed earlier, the center of an image taken when the shot is perpendicular to the ground is less distorted than the outside of the image. This is because of the angle at which the shot is taken. Because of this, it’s safe to use about the center 60% the image for georeferencing. However, the UWEC campus, which we’re creating an aerial map of, is under construction. Therefore, there are no updated aerial maps available as the reference, or ground point, map. Because of this our group had to rely solely on the ground points taken by the GPS units to georeference our data because our area to mosaic was located where a building has been removed and sidewalks have been added. This made georeferencing our data extremely difficult. The majority of the time we had no clue if our georeference lined up well or not because there were no sidewalks in the old aerial photo to compare them to. I did make a new map of the area of campus located over Phillips Hall (image 32) just to test my strategy. With this map I used georeferenced my control points to ground points, and tops of buildings. I also used the outside of my images, and a larger amount of control points; sometimes up to 30 or 40 control points on one image. Overall, this image turned out ok, but I know it was really distorted due to my manipulation of the photos.  
Image 32: Second attempt at a mosaic using sloppier methods to compare to my original mosaic
Conclusion

With this activity I learned the importance of very accurate ground control points. Without accurate ground control points it’s nearly impossible to create an aerial map that depict the landscape below. I also learned that no matter how much you want to make something turn out good it’s never a good idea to manipulate things to work for your benefit. Had I used the second map I created it may have had significant implications down the road to someone who may have tried to use it for something important. For example, if someone planned on using it for measurement the measurement would probably be off by a lot for them.
I also learned that it is important to have your camera on the right setting for the intended purpose of your field activity. We accidentally had our camera set on “normal” mode instead of “scenery”. This resulted in the camera being out of focus a lot of the time. This isn’t good because it’s important to have as many good pictures as possible to create a realistic aerial map.

No comments:

Post a Comment